Forgot your Password?

Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Search
Select Skin: 
 All Forums
 Digital Board
 DSP
 Matlab function Rcosine and interpolation question
Rating is not allowed for this topic.
 New Topic | New Poll New Poll |  Reply to Topic | Bookmark this Topic Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic   

etantonio

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  15:33:35  Show Profile  Visit etantonio's Homepage  Add etantonio to Buddylist  Reply with Quote
Good Morning,
may I ask you why the function Rcosine of Matlab require that I produce SRRC filtering and at the same time an interpolation of at least 2, this is achieved only with the polyphase structure, what happens if instead I first produce SRRC filtering with a normal FIR and later interpolate for example with a CIC filter or in another way I first interpolate and later I produce SRRC filtering ???

Thanks you a lot ...

Why not ?!?

Country: Italy  ~  Posts: 26  ~  Member Since: 10/21/2005  ~  Last Visit: 11/17/2008 Alert Moderator 

Tom

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  15:35:20  Show Profile  Add Tom to Buddylist  Reply with Quote
Hello!

Upto my knowledge, RCOSINE function is related to digital
communications so we have to interpolate because we are using the
message signal to modulate a carrier wave. Since one 'symbol' requires
at least one cycle of a carrier to be modulated, so we must
interpolate the symbol to increase its data rate so that it can
modulate the wave properly. Also we are performing baseband shaping,
so we got two filters at hand : the interpolator and the shaper (the
RRCF). MATLAB embeds these two operations together in a single
function RCOSINE or RCOSFIR etc.

And about the problem why first interpolation and then RRCF, well i
think it is because you are want to shape the 'interpolated' data
symbols, not just the normal symbols, because otherwise (using RRCF
first and then interpolate) may not perform required baseband shaping.

Thats what i think! and i am not a master!

Regards

Country: Western Samoa  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: 11/26/2005  ~  Last Visit: 11/26/2005 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ian

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  15:42:42  Show Profile  Add Ian to Buddylist  Reply with Quote
Hi Antonio:

Create a simulated random data stream with 1 sample per bit (corresponding to no interpolation). Do a Fourier transform on this sequence. Note that the Nyquist frequency for this spectrum corresponds to the data rate. Now consider how you can do the required RC or RRC frequency response shaping when this is centred at the data rate.

If you interpolate by 2, there is "room" in the spectrum to do this shaping.
(You _can_ do the shaping without the interpolation, it is just easier to visualise what's needed/going on if you interpolate first.)

Ian

Country: Mexico  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: 11/26/2005  ~  Last Visit: 11/26/2005 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
   Topic   
 New Topic | New Poll New Poll |  Reply to Topic | Bookmark this Topic Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000